When you create your CAD Standard you have to define the symbols that are to be used.
Questions for your CAD Standard…
- Are your symbols documented?
- Will you provide symbols to other firms that are working on your projects?
- Are they created correctly? – sounds funny, but there are a lot of symbols that have not been created perfectly.
- Do you have a menu or tool palette that incorporates the symbols?
- Will you use “out of the box” symbols if you use advanced software?
- Do your symbols mimic the National CAD Standard symbology?
Include graphics of your symbols in your Appendix. This includes the General Drafting Symbols and the Discipline symbols.
Include an outline of the size, fonts, etc. related to the symbols.
Define the layer to be used – “The standard symbols are to be inserted on layer G-ANNO-SYMB.”
Define what happens if a symbol does not exist… “If there is no symbol for the item you need – you may use an industry or office standard symbol.”