Many times I have asked myself “Why do I care so much about getting CAD done right?” “Does good CAD really matter?”
Here is what I tell myself when I answer back…
1. I care because CAD Drafting matters. It matters to your bosses and your firm. They are counting on getting the job out the door and being productive. It use to matter how well I could spin a mechanical pencil so I would maintain the width of my lines when I was drafting (I am dating myself). It use to matter what my hand lettering looked like. I use to matter that I knew how to combine my triangles to get the right angle. I use to matter how I used my French curves. Now it matters how I define my layer names and pen tables. It matters how I set up a file so others can work with me. It matters how I divide my files up and create references. It matters because others need to share my workload.
2. I care because CAD Design matters. It is imperative that I get my designs out of my head and into the machine correctly. So others can know what I visualize. So I can take my ideas and make them reality. The chosen tool today is CAD and BIM.
3. I care because CAD Models matter. BIM is here and it is here to stay. If you have not worked on a complete BIM model no matter what tool you use, then you are not getting a good feel for the future. File based CAD is soon to be a thing of the past. Oh sure we will have hold outs and 2D Drafting based tools (like AutoCAD) will be here for a long time, but this is the dawn of a new perspective on design tools.
4. I care because I am a craftsman. I take pride in what I do. I like to know that when others look at my product, I can rest assured that it will stand up to review. I have seen a lot of weird and strange CAD files. I strive to not let mine be counted among them.
5. I care because I am paid to care. My company has invested time and money in my education and training. They expect me to produce and manage well. I do not want to let them down.
6. I care because I love this stuff. Sound strange? Not to most of you, I hope. You love it also. You like new tools. You like technology. You like learning. You like sharing your knowledge.
More to come…
Add a comment of your own…